esposito's box
Monday, August 28, 2006
  Bookeaters- David Byrne
Here is the video (not especially hi-fi) we made of David Byrne at the Bookeaters benefit concert. A good time was had by all, and Daivd Byrne and his band did an all-country set. This first song is There Stands the Glass.

If you want to see the Sufjan Stevens/David Byrne duet see here. But I liked the first song a lot so thought Byrne-ophiles might like to see it too. I wish I had more clips from the evening, but we only had our little digital camera which only does 3:00 of record time before stopping itself. It'd been perfect for a Ramones concert, but Stevens' opuses (or interestingly "opera" also works as a plural) "Chicago" and "Casimir Pulaski Day" sadly overshot the lengths of the camera's ability so I lost each song in the middle. And the readers (Jon Stewart, This American Life's Sarah Vowell, John Hodgman) you can just forget about. I'll happily give you a play-by-play if you wish, but it was a fun night, and benefitted a cause close to my heart and own recent experience (tutoring children in the spooky arts through Dave Egger's 826 Valencia). Enjoy.

Update: In his wonderful, wonderful online diary, David Byrne writes about Bookeaters. Apparently, "There Stands the Glass" was well liked by Sarah Vowell at an earlier show, which inspired Byrne to do the all-country set. Also interesting, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was one of Byrne's last three cd purchases. I would dig and furnish the arena myself to see David Byrne do "Road to Nowhere" with the Tabernacle Choir singing the lead-in part. Somebody, please make this happen for me.
 
Comments:
Yeah! I love Mr Byrne's music, have for thirty years. His version of this song is a little rushed IMHO, but his version is one of the few I like.



 
Post a Comment

<< Home
It's cool, a multi-purpose shape, a box.

Name:

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

Archives
February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / November 2005 / February 2006 / June 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 /